This is that time of the semester again. Presentations, presentations and more presentations ! To everyone involved I hope this would be useful. These tips are only meant to be your guide, not the answer !
1.Keep the presentation style simple and clean.
2.No more than five bullet points per slide. They should all be equally spaced apart.
3.Write your script THEN prepare the slides to back it up. This way it's easier to prepare slides that support your presentation rather than the slides becoming the presentation.
4.Each time you display a new slide, stop talking and allow a few moments for your audience to absorb the content BEFORE you say a word. When you start to speak they will be ready to listen to you, you will not be competing with the slide for their attention..
5.Never read directly from the slides and never talk to the slides.
6. Face your audience when you speak.
7.Check the qualities of your slides.
· Can it be read clearly from the back of a room?
· Do the colours work as well when it's projected?
· Does the presentation work well in all lighting conditions?
· Are my slide TOO ‘WORDY’ ! ( too much words)
8.Do not be controlled by the number of slides but rather work on the time allowed for you to do you presentation. ( in this case 8-10 minutes)
9.‘Budget’ the time allocated to you . If you have 10 minutes for example:-
- Introduction 10% of 10 minutes
- Content 60% of 10 minutes
- Conclusion/recommendation 30%
10.Position yourself at the side so that you can command a view from the screen to the audience just by turning you head, NOT your body!
11.NEVER speak in a boring monotone! Make suitable adjustment to your voice volume according to the size of the audience and room.
12.Keep eye-contact with your audience. ( Forget about the old theory of looking at the back wall if you’re nervous….that do not work anymore !!!!)
13. Practice your presentation. Concentrate on your first couple of minutes when you are at your most nervous stage. Then work on your ending, as the first and the last impressions are equally important.
14. Get a friend to proof-read your slides !
15. FINALLY, THE
ps. If you have other tips and suggestion , feel free to write in the comments !