Monday, August 10, 2009

..of Nor and Iain.....


Nor and Iain


Their recently completed book-shelves - with still unopened boxes and crates of books left.


Cover page 'Fatimah's Kampung'


My sister and brother-in-law—eccentric, loving, jovial —call them what you like, but as soon as you know them , you know there’s never going to be anyone like them anywhere in this world - and I mean it in the nicest possible way !

If you listen to how they would' hit' each other— you’ll be laughing yourself sick ! There's a sign in their house which says, “Here lives a sweet old lady and a grumpy old man “. But the banters they give each other are all in good fun which is a reflection of their sense of humour.

Anyway let me list their interesting characteristics !

  1. they have a full collection of P.Ramlee’s record collection.I believe they even donated a full set to an IPTA library.
  2. They collect records by the hundreds, if not thousands of English and Malay songs. At this point I am inclined to believe that they may even have a better collection than RTM.
  3. The antiques they have—step in their house–and you can smell the wood. I dare say it even smells like their house in UK. I love their house for that -- that distinct pleasant smell that you'll never get anywhere else !
  4. They brought in books by the ‘thousands’ from UK.You can see a photo of a recently fitted book shelves and even then that was’nt enough
  5. They love animals. When they moved to their home , a pregnant stray cat came to their house. Then they had 6 stray cats which they regularly take to the vet. In their garden they have the regular birds, squirrels , butterflies and the cats(oh, and even a civet -- on certain nights) .
  6. Every evening, Iain, like a farmer would be steaming fish for the cats and he would be chased around by the cats all over the place in the garden. Indeed , they make quite a sight, and the cats make quite a music..
  7. I enjoy talking with them about current world issues. They have strong views on certain issues and you can tell the conviction and faith that they have in them. To me , they are the simplest and most jovial couples i have ever known.
  8. I hope they would not mind my divulging this. Recently Iain launched one of his books called ' Fatimah's Kampung' and my sister has been an active blogger ( anaksihamid.blogspot.com ) after being 'chased' by some of us.

I wish I have the flair for writing as there is so much more to write about these two extraordinary couple . Maybe I will in future again...

Well N and I --I don't know what made me pick this song---here's for the two of you !

15 comments:

ph said...

Sunnysideup,

They are the nicest people i ever known and it's my blessing to have known both Miss Hamid and Uncle Iain.

You think after said the above, i will be chased home when i arrive on Thursday evening ??

Helas木村 said...

waahhhh..... seems like i want to go Collect Duit Raya at their house this coming Raya, eh Go Beraya..Typing Error... hehehe....

is that possible sir??

Anonymous said...

Hi Mus! Wow! I'm humbled, that someone could find so many kind things to say about this old pa'cik. The other side of the picture? He can be grumpy, irritable, and quick to criticize - and that's only some of it. But most important of all: this is one grumpy old Mat Salleh who's been incredibly lucky - to be adopted into such a wonderful family. The family of your Arwah Abdul Hamid, Mus,is the best thing that has happened to me in all my 67 years. With their good hearts and their patience, they made it so easy for me to adjust to a new country. And of course, they helped me to write "Fatimah's Kampung". In its creation, that book owes more to my Malaysian family than to anything else.

See page 100 for just a part of my tribute to my Malaysian in-laws. You'll recognize quite a few people, I know!

Love and respects, Iain.

Angel said...

I just amazed to read this

Helas you should ask about your Mat Saleh theory hehe

anak si-hamid said...

Oh dear, oh dear, this time Frankie ambushed me (or rather us) good and proper!
All those nice things about us ....???... by the way are you well? Of course there are antiques in the house including us and Helas and other interested parties are of course welcome to the museum but no angpow eh!! The entrance fee is 1 week's supply of tosay or fried kway teow.
Discounts are available but young persons (under 24) will have to stay and listen to ALL the old songs and/or read all our old lecture notes ha ha.
Thanks Mus for the accolades and thanks to all for tolerating these two grumpy eccentrics.

As for PH- when Uncle read you were turning up on Thursday; he yelled "That soon?" So expect to be thrown out again.

By the way Mus, I still have some 'great' pictures of you to reveal. Just you wait and see.
Quite an apt song you picked for Iain is the Celtic name for John and Yoko Ono can be 'Oh, Nor".
(Where am I going to put my face after this????)

imsunnysideup said...

In case any of you is wondering who is Frankie---that is me. I don't how or why , but it is related to a singer of eon years ago called Frankie Avalon.
There , better for me to say it myself !

imsunnysideup said...

Thats what my sister gave for my nick anyway.

pEaCe said...

wonderful! btw, they really rare civets!? curious..

pEaCe said...

wonderful! btw, they really rare civets!? curious..

imsunnysideup said...

iriss
yes there are. A mother and two kittens.

You see there has been too much development that they had been driven out of the forest. So they come out at night and eat the mangoes from the tree in the garden.

Yes , they walked ON the telephone cables. My brother-in-law has seen them many times

pEaCe said...

do they get electric shot? nowdays i don't pity them but i'll laugh when i saw one get shot on the cables....

imsunnysideup said...

I pity them iriss. They have been chased out of their homes just so developers can make money and build homes for humans. No home, noe regular meals !

In america, I heard cougars and other wild animals come to houses to look for food. This can be dangerous for mankind and the animals...

Helas木村 said...

waa very antique untill call it museum.. hehe.. ok ok no angpaw... :D.. promise.. but if i combine with Budak 13 years old, i can get i think ang pow...

waa i think.. i have to think twice before go Raya there, coz.. maybe my schedule that time clash with something :D.. not because have to listen the classic song.. i like it, but something clash... later i confirm.. hehhe

Helas木村 said...

Chivet cat??? electric city?? sounds familiar.. but dimana ya

:p

JonyBr said...

I have seen dozens of your posts, fun posts, angry posts, passionate posts, most of them were the creation of mind and response to events, but this - this one is from the bottom of ur heart, with sincerity.

I wonder whos actually lucky, them, to have you, or you, to have them - perhaps both.