Friday, September 18, 2009

The Duke ---not of Hazzard but the Highway !

So the holy month of Ramadan will soon move on.

In the past, other then the religous aspects, what reminded me most of this month is the food bazaar we get almost everywhere everyday ! The stalls selling Raya delicacies, the shoppers that throng the shopping centres, malls, alleys and supermarket.

But most of all it reminds me of the awful traffic jam that choked the roads  in the evenings. All of a suuden, everyone is driving to work, yet the trains are also choked with people. Why the sudden increase in the population of Kuala Lumpur? You wonder sometimes!

On a normal day, it would take me about 15-20 minutes of easy driving to get home if I use the Elevated Highway to Setiawangsa. But come the fasting month, It would be anything from 30 - 50 minutes. Getting into Jln Tengku Abd Rahman would usually be a mad battlr of survival, just for a 100 meters drive to the junction may take up to 20 minutes sometimes.  Then there will be a long queue at the toll boothes and from the toll to my house , after passing through Keramat amy be anything from 30 - 40 minutes .

Then came the DUKE this year. Although there is a total change in the direction of getting home, but it has been a saviour to me. Now I get to Jalan Kuching, where traffic is heavy BUT moving, for about 2 km, then turn left to this blessed highway called DUKE.

As soon as I turned into the highway, I felt like I'm home already ! It takes 3-5 minutes ONLY ! Yessir---cruising along at 140-150 kmph.... From the office I can be home in 10 minutes.

One morning, I  in the office in an astounding 7 minutes---and that was just a normal easy drive.

Yes , the DUKE is the best that has happened in the traffic scene - for me at least !

2 comments:

sicKo^ said...

the massive traffic in the evening also occurred in my area during this fasting month. maybe bcoz, b4 this, some people get to go back at 4.30, while others at 5.30 or maybe even 6. But this months, most of them get to get home at 4.30.. just like u :)

imsunnysideup said...

I think it is everywhere in major towns. But you can't help wonder where were all the people and vehicles in other months ? Sure maybe the dismissal time may be more staggered, but still.....