Thursday, July 2, 2009

What do you say when......

Interestingly , paradox happen and reveal itself in our everyday life. Today I read an example of a paradox and I had a good laugh with my collegues.

What is a paradox ? Put simply it is a a statement that appears to contradict itself. Here are a few examples from About.com.

  • "A dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tale when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased and wag my tale when I'm angry."
    (The Cheshire Cat in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)
  • War is peace."
  • "Freedom is slavery."(George Orwell, 1984)
  • "Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."(C.S. Lewis to his godchild, Lucy Barfield, to whom he dedicated The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)
  • "If you wish to preserve your secret, wrap it up in frankness."(Alexander Smith)


Here's an example that made me laugh.

  • A thief/conman/embezzler who was caught red-handed described the policeman that caught him as 'unethical'.

Would anyone care to give more examples ?

No comments: