Monday, April 20, 2009

.WOODS CAMP- a behind the scene peek !


Yes ! thats what the counter says ! Zero, zero, zero, zero, zero, zero, zero, zero, zero !

But to the campers , its not zero ! They have gained so much, they have gained unimaginable experience , they have found new friendship, they have discovered the spirit of camaraderie .

All the above wouldn't have been possible in their daily life--in the hostel or the university ! 

For me - this is the third activity and the second camp under my charge. I would not compare the two camping session as  each is different from the other. 

BUT WHAT THEY ACHIEVED WOULD REMAIN THE SAME !

Presently I am nursing a sinus attack gfrom the millions of layers of dust in the chalet and as such had to be on medical leave today, but later in the day I hope to write more and upload some (?) photos .

I didn't sleep well in the camp because of this and I couldnt take my medication as that would make me sleepy and I didn't want to miss a thing in the camp !

But for this posting allow me to do a short run-up of the preparation and the hard work put in. 

  • the idea of a second camp came up immediately after the first camp in August 2008.
  • This was a request from Anwar, Baby Shah and gang as they refused to take off their team colour band for 2 weeks !
  • Come December 2008 - the mood changed to a bowling tournament which was also conducted VERY successfully.
  • Then the idea of the camp resurfaced !
  • Five trips I made to Woods resort in two months for the purpose of checking, re-checking. negotiating, confirming, payment and final checking before the actual trip.
  • Identifying the committee members and assigning their roles (of which they did a very good job of being independant -- anyway more on them in the next posting!)
  • Looking for a good form of transportation (the last camp was flawed by the horrible transport system)
  • And the marketing  -- getting students to come for the camp (which, surprisingly was the worst part of all). I am sure you students have heard me blabbering before each lesson!
  • I was constantly in the woods-(pardon the pun) meaning always with problems!
  • Right to the eve of the camp , confirmation had to be made to every party connected to this camp
  • Only this time I left the activity part to the committees to run--but still I had to oversee the operation !

All in all the anxiety and the pain is apparent for me. This camp is on a package deal of a minimum of 50 campers. Right up to the last minute I could not garner the required 50 campers.( Finally managed 38 only) 

Numerous telephone conversations were made to negotiate but failed because Woods Resort is run by the a Corporate body and it has been so structured that they could not move out of the fixed package. 

I was on the verge of cancelling the whole camp OR go back to the old camping site (Rock Resort) which would mean a loss of credibility and also terrible disappointment for those who had signed up and paid up !

But I decided on a last attempt to re-renegotiate. I went there again (with Nazerine) and finally struck a deal where both parties compromising certain issues . And the camp is ON !

Heck --I'm sleepy again ---this medication is taking effect on me, but at least I cleared my nose block, my cheeks are not burning and I have no temperature !

So more to come on the actual camp itself in an hour or two - after my nap !!!!

3 comments:

Helas木村 said...

ok then.. have a rest.. while i have to continue ma work here hahahah... lucky i got extra power when remembering all the thing happen at wood camp... it keep me smiling and laughing all the time.. ehehehehe i'm looking forward to ur next post sir.. heheheh

JonyBr said...

Dang.
and the HEAT and HEAT and HEAT

But it was fun nevertheless. As you said, cant compare the two experiences since both were completely different, with completely different individuals as well as personalities.

imsunnysideup said...

especially with the presence of the monkey--its a totally different ball game. Unfair advantage !