Monday, April 20, 2009

The Woods Camp - from both sides ...

ok--I really don't know where to begin. Guess I'll just write my opinion and the behind-the-scene parts.So I'll just start with  the ups and down sides. 

The Ups 

1) The Committee members --unlike the last camp, I wanted you all to RUN the whole activities with as little supervision as possible---AND YOU ALL DID A GREAT JOB !

I would like to give a special  mention to Asraf here--he did a great job in being the pillar of strength at the camp. He ran  things professionally and yet never forget to consult me before any decision-making , options, problem or changing factors. He never assumed situations never take thing for granted.There were many situations where he and I actually sat down, discussed and decided . I actually get to see sides of him which I wouldn't know if it had been classroom conditions only.

Rodhi was involved right from the beginning and took it upon himself to keep me up to date about planning of the activities. Before the camp we were regularly in touch through the phones regarding many camp-related matter. And , being a good sport he was , didnt mind getting involved being a CM as well as a team member to make the crowd.

Kim and Afif and the others are are the silent heroes. They are there on camping days to make things work. Kim is loud and up-front and we can see him running the activities effectively ! But Afif is the quiet one who does his jobs and always there when you need him !

Wahida, Sharifa and Atiqah - thanks also for being there. They work silently in the background and were reliable throughout the camp ! Seeing them at the first collection point at Sri Rampai with pails, boxes and hampers, plus their own personal belongings certainly put a smile and confidence on my face. 

Oh --and a special mention here for Salina of class 23-24 for the poster and being chased by me until it was ready. In fact she was the FIRST student to contribute to the success of the camp. Thanks Salina.

I hope campers realise and appreciate how much of their time they spent preparing for all this !

Thank you --all of you !

2) The streams --- I could stay all day  (which I did ) and though I tried to fight it, I was the first to get in the water ! You get various type of streams, the pool, the 'rapids' the deep end and so on.

3)The clearings with tall trees being allowed to grow--it certainly gave the 'woods' effect !

4)The campers --who were all so sporting and took in all the set-backs (were there any?) in good spirit.

5)One particular camper (I will not mentioned the name but the person would know it), who, inspite of many reasons for the month of April , decided to come. And she had no friends at all. I sawher  sitting all alone nearly all the time on the first day . I encouraged her to move about , get to know people and kept her company whenever I see her alone. On the second day. I felt so good to see her having friends around her and she didn't sit on a rock alone with a diary and pencil by the stream  anymore !

6.The mood and spirit of the camp---the camaraderie spirit !

7) I should mentioned that Hari has been very entertaining at this camp. How could I ever forget his dance movement st the goggle football match, running to the wrong side to score a goal, kicking the air, running with that funny posture, . Man! Hari---this side of you I didn't see at all in the class ! In the college , you were so proper, well-behaved and obedient ! You certainly play a part to light up the camp !

8) Rodhi too is one who light up the camp - so very sporting and fun !

9) there were others who were just like the above and all of you contributed to make it fun and successful. Please forgive me if I didn't mention your name.

10) The transport . The bus driver is one which is reliable . (Its difficult to find such a driver) . He kept to his time and promise. On Saturday, at 7.10am I received an sms from him telling me that he was getting the bus started and would soon be on the way.  We agreed to meet at Sri Rampai at 7.45am and he was right there on the dot ! When he told me that he would be early on Sunday evening to pick us up, he arrived at 4.30pm although the agreed time was 5.00pm. He said that if we leave late, there would be a massive jam as picnickers would also be leaving for home. ( During Rock Camp--it took us one hour just to get to Batu Caves). That was why I wanted the exchanging of gifts and the closing ceremony to be short because we WERE running out of time as I promised the driver .

The Down-side

1) The heat ! aaaaarrrggghhhhh! It was unbearable to me. It seems to get right into your body and you feel like a barbequed meat !

2)The chalet --it was SO DUSTY  that it triggered my sinus . Everything I touched was dusty. I used my palm and hit the matteress a few time to test it and it was awful  awful awful. I could write a telephone number on the table  with my finger.(The last I felt that way was when I visited the Boa Tea Factory in Cameron Highland where the fine tea dust knocked me out for a few says.) I could take my medication but that would make me feel drowsy and I wouldn't be able to know whats happening. Although Kim said that I stayed too long in the water on the first day, he obviously didnt know at the last camp I stayed twice as long if not longer in the water. We even stayed in the muddy water in the  heavy rain for an hour before we went back !

3) The monkey 'shit' ---another aaarrrggghhhhh! . While the campers were 'pocopocoing' on Sunday morning I saw those stuff at the back of the hall where we used to sit the night before !

4)That I couldn't get 50 camper to complete the package and I couldn't fulfil the Jungle Trekking which I 'promised' campers when I was 'marketing' the event !

5) The huge 'lizard' -if you can call it that which gave me a shock and almost attacked me in the chalet on Saturday. The creature was about 1.5 meters and the width of the stomach was about 75 cm . In the evening I went in the bathroom of the chalet and I heard a 'thud thud' sound like someone hitting the wall. I thought it was Atif--when suddenly it jumped down from the ceiling and started running wild all over the bath-room. It wanted to get out but couldn't because I was standing at the door ! So I quickly moved back. It ran into the room and scrambled all ovet the bed and hitting the closed window trying to get out. I was scared out of my skin as it might attacked me either by biting me or hitting me with its massive tail  which I believe could break your bone if it did. It finall got out through the gap between the wall and the ceiling. I didn't tell anyone this as I didn't want to scare anyone -- not even to Atif or Suresh !

But , the next evening , Atif was telling me how he was walking to his chalet at 6.00am in the morning when he saw this massive creature outside my chalet. he wanted to take a photo but became scared when the craeture started to move like I described above. Only then did I tell him my experience too.

6) Of course the monkey in my chalet which was discovered by helas ! You have to ask him what happened. 

I guess all in all ---another great event ! I'll write more if I remember later.

By the way ---:::.alL aBoUt mY LiFe n iTs mY LiFe.::: --thanks for that gift - the book entitled 'Father's Wit " It was very sweet of you and I never expected it ! I started reading it while the enchanging of gifts was going on. Thanks again !

16 comments:

faez_faezlyn said...

welcome sir...
me too will not forget the best moment there right sir?
the best thing is the river and the stream..
sy igt lg sir masuk dlm sungai awal awal lg dgn sir naga dn sir atif..heheh..
kami sume pun memang seronok mandi2 dlm sungai yg deras tu sampai hanyut di bwak arus..wlpun terluka kena batu2 besar tu tp tak serik nak terjun dlm sungai...
dan sume campers yg sporting playing games in the river..
memang happening habis..
games yg plg sy suke google soccer,memang tk nampak ape2 mcm blind person kicking the ball..can u imagine that..hehehe..memang tk tahan perot rase mcm nak pecah tgk gelagat sume campers yg main soccer tu..wlpun sy asyik di hentam dgn pemain lain..tp sy tk serik utk main lg mase akhir sekali tu..ader 8 org pemain dan sy sorang perempuan tp sy dpt skor goal..huhuhu...
hrp sir bt aktiviti ni lagi next time...

:.AtiqaMusa.: said...

thousand appreciation for sharing ur valuable time with us sir...
we enjoy every single minute there n cant forget our mascot (the monkey that they call ayie)...
we'll wait for the next activity...

babyComebaCk143 said...

sir, thx god u never mention about da lizard. if u r, i bet i never go near da woods!huhu
btw, u not follow my blog...sad. :(

Helas木村 said...

for the organizer, well done because play good job in organizing your hard work... if not because all of you, this camp would be not organized... the hard work of all of you might be not see by the other or people... a lot of sacrifice u have to face... meeting, planning, arrange activities, buy things all these things need a lot of time to be done plus with the class assmnt, exam ,midterm and all of academic ... if sure only certain people can do that and its already proven by all of you... Congratulations guy... Asraf(big guy),Rodhi,Kim(Tall men),Afif(import player), wahida,sharifa and camera girl ika, next time dont be a stranger to me ...

well every activities must have kelebihan n kelemahan... also from the 1st camp... got advantages and disadvantages.. that is the thing that we need to in order to reduce the weaknesses in coming activities... again well done

imsunnysideup said...

babyComebaCk143
If you updated last night --maybe I have not been to ur blog. You see , now I am having the flu pulak, and will still be away from work today (tuesday). But i promise you I will check your blog ya !--and also comment on it...

HariCCNS said...

it's very meaningful camp for me....

Helas木村 said...

babycome back..
dunt worry i'll follow laa ahhahaha

CentorZ said...

Hohoho..the river is so cold~~~!!!!!

sicKo^ said...

nice to to see that everybidy enjoyed the camp... My mom turun kl 4 the book fair.. that's why, I can't join u guyz at the camp..

Balik dari camping, terus demam ke, sir?

MiRaCLe said...

sicko

ohh.. i've been waiting for u to come actually.. huhuu.. sir got terrible nose problem from the horrible dusty chalet..


sunnysideup

take ur time sir.. dunt forgot ur medication too.. later on when u recover from the sickness, we'll go for bowling!! yeahh...!! (^O^)

Alexander said...

what I dislike the most is the beruk or monyet or what so ever the call it, is when we having a lunch or dinner that monkey comes around ... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH tension.. I have to fight with him to secured our meal from that beruk... ahhh
then i can barely slept over that beruk shit...ah Gosh...

Helas木村 said...

everybidy got experience on that beruk.. so do i.. hhahahahaha

imsunnysideup said...

Next time must get the cleaner from KLMU to clean the chalet first !
Yessss! That the next !---bowling !
How nice if we can bring the monkey along !

imsunnysideup said...

The funniest thing rudy, is that the monkey would only go for you. Wonder why !

Alexander said...

i don't maybe i am not bring my deodorant kot..hahah
i dont tink its because of that..
hahah

imsunnysideup said...

Haaa ! So that was where the smell aome from ! Not the monkey !!
Or maybe the monkey might have taken yours and used it !