Saturday, April 4, 2009

haaaa.... nostalgia....streets of london..

By chance found this song and ...wham ! took me to the past. (seems like every weekend I have this attack of nostalgia ).

Streets of London---thats the song. It became popular just before I went to UK for my studies. My first night in London was spent in Malaysia Hall, smack in the middle og London.  It was autumn. I was up and aboutby 7  early that first morning (jet-lag tells my body that it was already 2.00 pm Malaysia time ). I went out for a walk down Marble Arch to enjoy the cool crisp air.. The street was still empty except for a few cars, road sweepers  and newsagents opening up their shops.

I couldn't believe that I was walking on my own in a street in London.

I told myself---so this is what its like. There were one or two tramps that I saw andth culture shock of white men sweeping the road were sights that I treasure. That moment --the feeling of home-sick was inevitable. My first day, no friends, no known relatives anywhere--all alone on this side of the world. I was terribly lonely !

Then the lyrics of that song  The Streets of London came to my mind. The rhythm and genre might not appeal to the young---but heck, the lyrics and implication ? - you can't beat its meaning ! Read it---and tell me what you think . 

Heres the clip take fron TOTP (Top of the Pop) a programme over BBC TV station listing the top songs of the week in UK , telecasted every Thursday evening at 7.30pm . (GOD ! I can't believe I still remember this )

I have two versions of the clip---the original , and another ,a contributor's attempt at putting a sense of lighter feeling ( thanks sundaegirl2004 , which is ok. Anyway here they are....

Streets Of London

Have you seen the old man 
In the closed-down market 
Kicking up the papers, 
with his worn out shoes? 
In his eyes you see no pride 
And helds loosely by his side 
Yesterday's paper telling yesterday's news 

Chorus: So how can you tell me that you're lonely, 
And say for you that the sun doesn't shine? 
Let me take you by the hand lead you through the streets of London 
I'll show you something to make you change your mind 

Have you seen the old girl 
Who walks the streets of London 
Dirt in her hair and her clothes in rags? 
She's no time for talking, 
just keeps right on walking 
Carrying her home in two carrier bags. 

Chorus

In the all night cafe
At a quarter past eleven, 
Same old man is sitting there on his own 
Looking at the world 
Over the rim of his tea-cup, 
Each tea lasts an hour 
And he wanders home alone 

Chorus

Have you seen the old man 
Outside the Seaman's Mission 
Memory fading with the medal ribbons that he wears 
In our winter city, 
The rain cries a little pity 
One more forgotten hero 
And a world that doesn't care 

Ok--this is Cat Steven's (Yusof Islam) version

Next -the original


OK ! FOR YOU YOUNG 'UNS ! LISTEN TO THE SEX PISTOL'S VERSION...

6 comments:

Helas木村 said...

yaii.. i like the plucking guitar in the original version... nice sound mix with the harmonica sound..

and the chorus part.... i like the meaning.. hehehe..

imsunnysideup said...

I'm glad you like it helas.

Azhar85 said...

It's a classic & nostalgic song sir..but it has a lot of meaning.. :)

Hazalee Hassan said...

The good oldies always has somethin' to tell about the beautiful life in those yesteryear only if the younger generation hear them more,they will learn a thing or two from it...

imsunnysideup said...

Thank you for your comment hazalee. Sigh... thats true. There are some new songs with good lyrics as well. Maybe its the language......

imsunnysideup said...

by the way hazalee - that was well expressed !