Monday, May 11, 2009

Talking about somethinh 'HOT'


Last night I watched the F1 live from Spain. Somehow I cannot picture what it would be like to go at 300 kph , approached a bend and with late braking, turn comfortably and step on the accelerator again to bring your vehicle to 300kph again within afew seconds !

NOW THAT IS HOT !

I recalled my experience of an adrenalin rush and I wrote it in a post last year. Read it again and also re posting it.


THE UPS AND DOWNS OF MY WEEKEND


My Uppers.
I have to thank my son for making my weekend. When I received a call from him at 5.00pm on Saturday to meet him at the car-park, he had me worried .Why? Why at the car-park?

A thousand and one possibilities came to my mind.
Looking at the cars coming in, I was still wondering while waiting for his familiar car. Then a black car drove in, with the distinguished radiator grille.

In my mind, I still had time to tell myself ‘WOW!’ An Audi A4.

Just what my son and I had been talking about the last couple of weeks or so.
When the car was nearer, I saw the familiar grin of my son in the car. He parked the car, still grinning, he got out, and keeping the door opened, said, “Come on ‘Bah! Give it a drive!”

OMG! I mean this would be the first Audi that I would have driven.

But this particular one is the Audi Quattro A4. (4-wheel drive, Turbo)


The next thing I knew, I was heading towards the Middle Ring Road and listening to my son giving a run-down of the car details. But it was just a normal drive with the usual heavy traffic, swerving in and out without actually ‘feeling’ the car. I drove on, passed the students’ hostels of Taman Melati and finally make a U-turn back towards Setiawangsa..

Then my son suggested getting on to the Elevated Highway. Now, that was a good idea. So we made a U-turn at the Jalan Ampang and Middle Ring Road intersection. After the Flamingo Club, we turned left into the access road to the highway.

Just as I drove in the access road, my son switched on the traction-control and moved the gear lever to the “S” position. Coolly he told me to step on the accelerator right down until I felt the switch on the back of the pedal hitting the floor.

I did just that. THEN IT ALL HAPPENED AND I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT. ! The turbo kicked in and 200 horses pulled the car with a surge, throwing my body back with such a force that I was shouting “S**T and laughing all the way.

Maneuvering the bends of the access road before getting to the highway was easy. No skids no nothing. I knew I was grinning all the way .
Inspite of all the bends before reaching the toll booth, within that short distance, I knew I’d already hit 190+ kmph.. ( Earlier, my son told me he was cruising at 240 kmph at the highway and making a U-turn at 100 kmph - without realising it other than a slight squealing of tires. Well I believe him)

The car simply did what I wanted it to do. Not a single scary moment at all. Thanks to it road-holding ability and its traction control. In one word - WOW !
ADMITTEDLY, THE STIFFNESS OF THE SUSPENSION DOES GIVE IT A SOMEWHAT HARD RIDE---BUT HEY ! WHO CARES ! LOOK AT THE STABILITY OF THE CAR - ITS WORTH THE SACRIFICE.

The toll booth of this particular highway is something else. I have seen powerful cars doing their thing after paying the toll. I have seen a VW GTi punishing a new BMW 5 series , a Lotus Elise weaving in between cars like nothing, a Subaru Impreza roaring off like nobody’s business and other two-seaters like the Celicas , Mazda RX7s and a host of other ‘boy-racers’.

. Indeed this would have been a Traffic Cops’ Paradise!


Any way as soon as the toll-gate opened, I pumped the accelerator to the floor-board. I was just in another world. The roar of the engine: the surge of the car: the thrill of it all. MY ADRENALIN WAS PUMPING AWAY FULL-TIME - and suddenly nothing else mattered.

There are other powerful cars –no doubt—but for that time this car was in my control. And I love it. No squealing of tires, no wasted energy – just sheer power to pull you away from the world behind you.


After the first surge of the turbo power, the next best thing to happen is that (something I thought I would never have the chance to do –ever):- I flashed the Xenon lights of the Audi on a BMW 5 series. And you know what? It moved aside to give me way!

Anyway – all too soon, we reached the end of the highway, made a U-Turn and swing back to where we came from—still blasting away with the car doing exactly what you want it to do ! I didn’t look to see the speed I was doing.- But I do know I pushed the engine to 7000 rpm. when I took a very quick peek without taking my eyes off the road.

I know I saw my son pressing his imaginary brakes from the passenger seat and at times putting up his hands as if trying to stop something. I was doing that sometimes when he drives.


When we reached home, parked the car, my son turned to me and said, “Abah, its no fun to be a passenger in this car!” All I said to him was, “Thanks for making my weekend son. ‘ But in my heart I was saying, (heheheh---well, I can imagine so!)

4 comments:

MiRaCLe said...

WOWWWW!!! that would be awesome if i were at ur place sir!!! what a nice ride!! whose car is that?? is it ur son's?? i was thinking that hes buying that car for you.. hehee.. i also have my dream car.. something exotic.. and if i were to buy something for my dad, i'll buy him an harley-davidson and rode together with him.. ahhh.. that would be super nice..

imsunnysideup said...

No la miracle , he bought it for himself !But he will always discuss with me about the cars that he wanted to buy !
He's also a speed freak like me, but of course he has got better cars !
Harley is nice ! I once had the opportunity of spending about two weeks travelling round northern England with a group of bikers--mostly on harleys!
But the worst ride was when I rode pillon on a 250cc Honda with a Malay student in UK.( He imagined himself to be a tough biker with very long hair and boots) We rode from Hull to London (about 400km)

It was very very very cold, even though we nad leather jacket, scarves and leather gloves. But I can take it.

WHAT i CANNOT STAND WAS HIS SMELLY HAIR !!!!!WHICH KEPT BLOWING INTO MY FACE !!!

MiRaCLe said...

ohhh.. i see.. what car did u own sir??

hahahaa.. that must be horrible!! what did u do to endure it for 400km and with a very cold weather??!!! goshhh!! i cant imagine the situation.. did u told the student about his hair..???

imsunnysideup said...

miracle
just a simple gen2 cps.

my helmet was not a full-faced one like his, so I had to use my scarf to cover my face. But whenever we stopped , I can just smell his hair---maybe it was my imagination, but it WAS a nightmare !
You see this mamat thinks he was a tough cookie . He will always come to meet us at the university with his full boots, leather jacket, red leather gloves and full-faced helmet. We called him metal-karat because if his hair. We gave up telling him.
He also had a car - a mini station wagon. Whenever we take rides from him to go anywhere, before he started his engine, he would pass a tin round and we had to contribute to pay for the petrol. But i guess it was ok, since we were all studenys. But it looked so funny !