Sunday, May 10, 2009

The anger after the calls !

This is what I wrote in reply to helas' comment on my last post.

'helas, my next post will not be a song but rather my message of embarassement, revelation and perhaps anger .'

Background.

You see, yesterday I contacted three of my friends who might  help four of my students in getting their ojt at their company. I know their ojt will be finishing soon and I was hoping that I could be of help to these four, and later on to others.

The first contact is a good friend of mine who  is the Vice-President of a private university whose main company has about 60 subsidiaries and about 30 of these are involved in the IT business.

The second one is the Head of the Legal Department of another private university with strong connection with the Commissioner of Societies of Malaysia.

The third is an ex-student of mine who is the CEO of an Oil and Gas company which is also a contractor with Petronas . This company is expanding its IT department and was looking for programmers with/without experience to be based in Shah Alam.

Sure it is her prerogative to reject but two obvious things could be done :- (1) reject the offer of help right from the beginning before she was offered an interview, and I can replace with another student, (2) Inform me of developments so that if necessary, I could explain to my friends and counter offer it with another student to take the offer !

All three companies were prepared to provide ojt with good chances of being absorbed into a permanent post.

The Blow

Yesterday, all three of my friends were very diplomatic and tactful to me ! One of them kept rejecting my call and I was actually 'told off' in not so many words because of what happened with the first student that I recommended. 

I can take a hint when given, and obviously all three friends were not happy with what happened to the first  ex-student case. And obviously , now I would have to tell my four ex-students not to put too much hope on this opening. 

In a way I do not blame my friends. They need not help but because of friendship, they were prepared to make allowances for a special friend and ex-lecturer !

The events 

On completion of of her  programme , I contacted my friends to help her in getting an ojt.. I thought this could be a start of helping other students to do their ojt or even get a permanent job.

Of course it is this student's rights to reject. But think about it . When you reject an offer or an interview, the decent thing to do is to inform me as  I was the one who recommended her in the first place. But this was not the case.

After my contact with my friends, and I informed the students of this, nothing seemed to happened. I was wondering what happened until the Vice president of the private university e-mailed me about the development. I was so ashamed and embarassed that no information was given to me by the student, that I know nothing of this development. 

I publish my friend's e-mail to me because NOT EVEN A COPY WAS FORWARDED TO ME---THE ONE WHO INTRODUCED HER TO THE COMPANY. AT LEAST KEEP ME INFORMED !

Case 1

Dear Encik Mustafa
Below is the reply from your candidate. She has declinedL.
Regards,
L*******

Assoc.Prof.Dr.L***** T*******
Vice President, Student Affairs
***** University 
www.******.edu.my 

 From: [*********@yahoo.com] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 11:36 PM
To: D*****
Subject: Apology
Dear Mr. D*****  Quah,
My name is K******. Im suppose to come for an interview regarding the programmer position today, 3rd march 2009. Unfortunately, i can not come due to some really important matters. 
So, regarding the interview..Im afraid to tell you that i have to decline your offer because i have received another offer, which is based on a factor that the workplace is located just near to my house, here in Setapak. 
Im so sorry for the troublesome. Thank you for your effort in considering my application and send my regards to Dr. L**** for helping me out to reach you. 

 K*****

.....and from my ex-student..

Flag this message
RE: Programmer Internship
Friday, 6 March, 2009 12:47 PM
From: 
"Simon Cheong"
View contact details
To: 
"'mustapha hamid'"

Dear En. Mustapha,
Just spoke to ******* this morning but she already has offer. So next time I guess.
Thank you.
Rgds,



IN BOTH INSTANCES, OBVIOUSLY THIS STUDENT LACKS THE COUTESY, COMMON SENSE , GRATITUDE AND (OTHER DESCRIPTION WHICH I WILL NOT MENTION HERE ), If I was informed by her of developments, I could at least call them and apologise , explain and make it the rejection better.

Anyway, she is obliged to keep me informed !

I found out later that both the post have a strong chance of leading to  permanent posts and one of gthe  companies is known for its attractive benefits.  

Moreover I would not be made to look as if I didn't bother to inform or explain to them  and that I only contacted them when I needed help !

My third friend called me up ans asked me if my student received a call from the Commissioner of Societies. At that point, I have given up on this ungrateful and if I may say so, rude student.

WHY AM I WRITING ABOUT THIS !

I called my contacts to confirm the possibilities for 4  other students to get a job. But the replies and non-replies on this queries confirmed something else . I am SO embarassed--and all because of an i****.  Its getting more and more difficult to forgive presently ! I guess its the case of a student being literate and not educated .

I never wanted to write the details BUT I was so angry after the calls yesterday. I'm sorry helas, sue, syam, zah. I have tried. 

6 comments:

Helas木村 said...

SIR....
honestly.. The 1 who suppose to apologize in this situation... is not you sir...but us.. i'm very2 touched right know..

sir, u have tried so hard for us... not only for OJT... but all the problems since the first class with you until today , Sure its not enough if i list down all here...

i'm sure u disappointed n frustrated becoz both u friend n x-students "kurang yakin" with the students that u suggested to them after the 1st incident and also their level of trusting you a bit down...

maybe its not our luck or fortune.. to get job there.. but still got lots of opportunity for us in the future... as long we keep on trying.. we lose not because we fall down, but we lose when we not get up back...

Again Thanks for everything.....

JonyBr said...

"Im suppose to come for an interview regarding the programmer position today, 3rd march 2009. Unfortunately, i can not come due to some really important matters."


What? okay informing you is different story but u have a interview "TODAY" and u wrote an EMAIL and not a CALL? hmmmm

who was that student?

imsunnysideup said...

jony

Can you imagine how my friends felt? She is the pits man ! I never never expect it ! Just goes to show that ...........!

The student? I'll tell you tomorrow ! I never wanted to write this nor publish the e-mails, but yesterday was the pits for me when my other students lost the opportunities.

I dont give a damn about herself but what really really gets me is that through her stupid, selfish and arrogant behaviour, she has deprived others of an opportunity.

True what helas said . There are other opportunities! But here are a few and good chances with prospect, waiting and available for needy students!

I know if any of my students were to do well in the ojt, they would have a good career ahead, partly because of my involvement with them.
What this stupid girl has done is that she has damaged my credibility as well !

Honestly, had it been a male, I would have looked for him and someone would really have to stop me from slapping him !


helas
I'm just disappointed and angry helas. I believe there is is 'karma. Just watch. There will be divine intervention - I donn't wish it but, what goes around WILL come around.

Lets all watch !

dyon said...

sir,as i hv read suddenly im gettin feel so upset of that kinda of attitude which doesnt know how to appreciate the opportunities that hv been given...

hopefully it'll never happen to me and others.MAy Allah bless us..

imsunnysideup said...

Well dyon, the rubbish will soon show itself from the gems !

su3zy said...

sir,
u dont have to apologize for anything... obviously u had tried ur best... and after all it's not ur fault at all... i always know that u r the good n yet the best lecturer ever...

i dont know who the girl is but she is surely arrogant and selfish.. maybe it's not our luck after all... but u do had tried to help us... i wanna to thank u for that... for each help that u have given me before... thank u...